Flow within the Analytic organisation is almost non-existant. The Systemic Flow Map above represents a public sector organisation in the UK. The detail is not that important. What is important though is the number of dependencies from many teams throughout the entire organisation. The chasm between Dev and Ops is present and yet the two are so dependant on one another. This diagram looks complex – because flow in the Analytic org is complex. This organisation is extremely silo’d with many centralised teams structured around skill set / discipline. Politics are rife being driven by tribal traits so each team:
- Has a revered figurehead dedicated to the team’s success
- Possesses objects of value that embody the team’s value, normally in the form of documentation (FRS, Test Strategy, Operational Acceptance Checklist)
- Often develops its own unique language – “it’s a Marketing thing, you wouldn’t understand”
- Act to secure their self-preservation if their security is under threat
- Has many enemies – each other!
These are just a selection of traits covered in the book “Great Boss, Dead Boss” which I’ve found evidence for through my org change work.